Question:
If you are 18 and your parents are still running your life.What should you do?
sexy
2006-01-18 10:02:40 UTC
you are still living in thier house because you are still in high school and have two years left.
Seventeen answers:
BabyFirefly
2006-01-18 10:10:18 UTC
You're in their house, so it's pretty much their say. . . Just like everyone else is going to say: get a job, save up some money, and move out on your own. Why do you still have two years of high school left when you're 18 years old anyways?
One
2006-01-18 10:25:42 UTC
Let them run it while you finish school. Many 18 years old get in a jam by moving out too soon. They don't think it cost much to move out. Use this time to learn how hard it is to live on your own. Here is a list of things you do if you were living on your own:

Laundry, cooking, cleaning, throwing out the trash, paying rent, paying electricity, paying gas, paying insurance, paying cable, paying cell phone, paying for internet, buying clothes, buying food, buying furniture, buying a computer, buying a TV, buying a stereo and many more.

This is just a short list of the things you need to do to live on your own. Add each of them up and you will see that you need a good education to make it on your own.

Don't rush. Just learn from your parents. They want you to do good and that is why they are telling what to do. I did not like it either when I had to let them run my life during school.
PsychProf
2006-01-18 10:10:44 UTC
You don't say what you mean when you say they are still running your life. If you are still living with them and dependent on their financial support it makes it pretty difficult to separate out from their rules and control.

One of the things that you need to do to get more control over your own life is to show your parents that you are mature, responsible and capable of making more decisions. That is your big task. You can certainly try to have a discussion with them about how you can be more independent. But I suspect that this will involve accepting a good deal more responsibility than you have now, so think this over carefully.
Tag Your It
2006-01-18 11:44:43 UTC
If you are still in high school . . . deal with it . . . why were you held back for 2 years anyways.

You need to grow up . . . and be smart. . .

I had to rush growing up . . . I was on my own . . . and out on the streets at the age of 13. I caught some breaks . . . but I made something of myself . . .

Right now you are behind the 8 ball . . . what you need to do is talk to the school counsellor (I know it is misspelled) to see if you can take community college courses (during the evening) to fulfill your high school credit requirements for graduation. . . plus give yourself a stepping stone . . . for you college education.

If you can show your parents that you are taking responsibility and initiative . . . in your own life for the positive . . . they may back down . . .
?
2006-01-18 10:13:00 UTC
Be glad you have parents in the first place. If you don't realize it by now...there are more broken homes then complete ones. More kids with NOTHING and NOONE to even care if you live or die so the next time you make that comment....I'm 18 and I can do what I want.....STOP and realize and be thankful you are loved. Don't be in such a rush to grow up...with it comes many responsibilities that you don't have while living at home.
justine_cn04
2006-01-18 20:31:43 UTC
What you should do is be thankful and grateful that your parents are running your life - creating a safe environment for you with 'structure'. Think you could survive in your life without them? Feel free to get a job at Burger King and support yourself. You will learn how difficult a struggle 'life' can be. Your parents are preparing you for it. Sit back, relax and love and respect them, gratefully.
Hotmom1216
2006-01-18 11:09:36 UTC
well my sister is 18 and has a job and everything but my parents still tell her what to do with her life i tell her when im 18 they wont run mines. well tell them what you like for a change and let them know that you are grown and you can do what you want if you have to then move out.Dont let them make your important decisions,this is your time to make yours.
2006-01-18 10:10:27 UTC
Well, if you are going to depend on them to support you then you have to abide by their rules. If your independence is more important, then you should seek other living arrangements or attempt to work out a compromise with them over the particular issues you face.
2006-01-18 10:50:50 UTC
I would sit my mother and father down to have a nice little conversation to tell them how i feel. i wouldnt go about it in the wrong way i would just let them know om feeling a little uncomfortable about them trying to run my life. ill explain that im 18 now and im open to more possibilities and i want to experience them without you runnig my every move> but dont be rude about just ket them know that they dont have to control your every move anymore
Mutt
2006-01-18 10:10:05 UTC
As long as they are still supporting you, they have the right to tell you what to do. If you don't like it, move out on your own.
agapemusic65
2006-01-18 10:10:35 UTC
get a job and move out. otherwise - as long as you are still under their roof and they are providing food, clothing and shelter for you... they pretty much have a right to tell you what to do - provided they are not abusing you physically or emotionally.
Tim
2006-01-18 10:19:01 UTC
Get a job, get some friends to rent an apartment together, and there you go, you're on your own, but watch it, it ain't easy out there.
shelly
2006-01-18 10:09:36 UTC
Move out and be responsible for your own life.
Blue
2006-01-18 10:06:59 UTC
Deal with it or find a way to move out.
independant_009
2006-01-18 10:09:08 UTC
Talk to them about your problem. If that does not work, tough it out until you can move out.
jesuscorderos
2006-01-18 10:45:06 UTC
GET A JOB AND BE INDEPENDENT........ thats simple..... i been living Independent since i was 16.. now im 21
2006-01-18 10:31:20 UTC
let them know that u want alittle freedom